Monday 23 October 2017

mon chat, ma souris, mes animaux


mon chat, ma souris, mes animaux // my cat, my mouse, my animals

To demonstrate the possessive adjectives, I wanted to draw one male and one female cat. Duolingo mentions female cats (chatte) in many lessons. However, when I used google translate to make sure I spell everything correctly, I discovered that it refuses to use the word "chatte" point-blank, insisting on using "chat" (which is a male cat) with qualifiers. Like, for example:"we have a tomcat, female" (huh?).

A little search brought up the answer - "chatte", although formally correct,  has transcended its original (at least I think it is original) meaning and now is firmly associated with female genitalia. I.e. more or less the same story as with "Pussy".

Well, Duolingo has its faults I guess. Good thing I've checked though.

I quickly changed a female cat to a mouse (f).  Now everything is in order and unambiguous, I hope. I don't like how the mouse turned out though.


No comments:

Post a Comment